School of Mathematics and Statistics
The University of New South Wales
Sydney NSW 2052
Telephone: +61 (02) 9385 5281
M.S. in Mathematics, 1977; Moscow State Pedagogical Institute
Ph.D. in Mathematics, 1980; Moscow State Pedagogical Institute
Areas of Interest
Number Theory: exponential and character sums, finite fields,
smooth numbers, linear recurrence sequences
Theoretical Computer Science: algorithms, complexity
Cryptography: number theoretic aspects, elliptic curve cryptography, pseudorandom number generators
Quantum Computation: number theoretic and combinatorial aspects
Exponential and character sums is one of the most universal number theoretic
tools with applications in many several areas of mathematics, coding
theory, cryptography and computer science.
Here is a list of open problems at various
levels of difficulty: some may suite for beginners and will consitute
short self-contained project, some may requite more significant
knowledge and efforts.
- Finite Fields and their Applications (Elsevier);
- Research in Number Theory (Springer);
- Mathematics of Computation (Amer. Math. Soc.);
- Revista Matematica Complutense (Madrid);
- Contributions to Discrete Mathematics (Univ. of Calgary).
- J. of the Australian Mathematical Society (Aust. Math. Soc.);
- Designs, Codes and Cryptography (Springer);
- J. Mathematical Cryptology (Walter de Gruyter);
- SIAM J. Computing (SIAM).
A complete list of publications is here .
Computational and algorithmic problems in
finite fields, Kluwer AP, 1992.
A. J. van der Poorten and
H. G. Zimmer, Editors)
Proceedings of The Conference on Number Theoretic and Algebraic Methods in
World Scientific, 1995.
- Finite fields:
Theory and computation, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.
- Number theoretic
methods in cryptography: Complexity
- (with S. V. Konyagin)
Character sums with exponential functions and their applications,
Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1999.
- (with K.-Y. Lam, H. Wang and C. Xing, Editors)
Proc. Workshop on Cryptography and Computational Number Theory
(CCNT'99), Singapore, Birkhauser, 2001.
- (with S.
Proc. 14th Symp. on Appl. Algebra, Algebraic Algorithms and Error-Correcting
Codes, Melbourne, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2001.
applications of analytic number theory, Birkhauser, 2003.
- (with G. Everest, A. J. van der Poorten and T. Ward )
sequences, Amer. Math. Soc., 2003.
- (with G. L. Mullen and D. Panario, Editors)
Finite fields and applications, Amer. Math. Soc., 2008.
- (with G. McGuire, G. L. Mullen and D. Panario, Editors)
Finite fields: Theory and applications, Amer. Math. Soc., 2010.
- (with J. Borwein and W. Zudilin, Editors)
Number theory and related fields,
Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics, vol. 43,
Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2013.
- (with D. Kohel, Editors)
Frobenius Distributions: Lang-Trotter and Sato-Tate Conjectures,
Amer. Math. Soc., 2016.
- (with S. C. Brenner,
C.-W. Shu and D. B. Szyld, Editors)
75 Years of Mathematics of Computation, Amer. Math. Soc., 2020.
- Travelling: anywhere, anytime
- Dogs: any breed
- Beer: unfortunately, in my taste, Australian Beer = o(German Beer)
- Wine: fortunately, in my taste, Any Other Wine = o(Australian Shiraz)
- Martial Arts: black belt in Judo
- Endless Meetings
- Lawn Mowing
- Ties (both on my neck and in a game)
My Favourite WWW Sites
Want to know more about me?
Click here then to see my CV.